Woke up unsure about what to do today, ended up taking apart the old goat pen and chicken coop.
It was a well-constructed enclosure, about 20x40 feet, but of no use to us. It could have been the basis of a deer-proof garden--a good start with 6' high hog wire firmly stapled to 13 evenly spaced pressure treated 4x4 posts, 10-footers dug two feet deep, set in concrete. All sturdy and straight, it was almost a pity to dismantle but it's the shadiest part of the yard and it was best to open up the space.With Dogyu bar (aka whaletail), hammer, and end nips, I removed the staples. At first I did each individually, using cat's paw to pry them out one by one. Then I realized it went quicker levering the hammer claw under the wire; this method worked on all but the largest, stoutest staples. I did it carefully because the wire will be reused to protect the hugel beds and trees Sarah is planting.
I considered digging out the posts, but that seemed too hard and possibly bonkers. Instead I used a recip saw with pruning blade to cut them off just below ground level, as close as possible to the concrete footings (which we are leaving for future archaeologists to ponder). I was surprised at how many remained standing after I cut clear through them (5 of 13!), testament to how well the builder plumbed the posts. I was stoked to come away with a baker's dozen of 8-foot-plus lengths, about $200 worth of lumber.
It took four truckloads of soil to fill the planter, then a 6-inch topping of compost. Quite a lot of work for two small starts, but more plants will come. Then I went hog wild with hog wire again and bent, tucked, and screwed the steel deer-frustrating grid in place. It's temporary but fairly solid. Sort of a theme around here...
Post a Comment